How to Put Your Old Hippy Bed Together
What you will need:
- At least two people
- Rubber Mallet
- Piece of Wood wrapped in a cloth
- Tape Measure
- #2 Robertson Bit
- Place the headboard exactly where you want it in your room. Just keep it about 1" away from the wall while you are putting it together.
- You will grab the rails and line them up to headboard.
- One person will lean the headboard towards themselves, so the other person with the rail can pick it up on the one side and slide it into the headboard.
- When you get it in, you will want to grab a piece of wood wrapped in cloth and a rubber hammer and place it on the rail close to the headboard. Then hit the rail down. You should see it shift down when you hit it.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Once both rails are secured to the headboard the person in the middle can let go.
- Two people bring the foot board to the other end of the rails.
- On a count of 3, you will both lift the rails up together at the same time and bring the footboard in and slide the rail into the footboard.
- While one person is hammering the rail down on the footboard, continue to hold the rail on the other side so it does not try to pop out. This is where it is nice to have a third person pushing down on the footboard while the person is hammering down so it gets in there very secure.
- After all the rails are pounded down, it is good just to give it one more swing on each end of the rails.
- Now you will probably want to move your bed back towards the wall. When you do this, one person can grab the headboard from the middle and another on the footboard and pick it up on a count of three again and move it towards the wall.
- Once you are happy with where you bed is, you will want to square up your bed. Take a tape measure from the left side of the headboard to the right side of the footboard, and then vice a versa. Move the footboard if you need to get the bed square.
- Now you will want to bring in your foundations. I usually recommend to put the smaller feet on before you place them inside the bed frame so you do not have to get under the bed for multiple feet. I usually put the small feet right up against the spine of the foundation, wood against wood. Do not leave a gap there. I recommend to put the small feet on the 3rd or 4th slat of the foundation.
- When you place the foundations in make sure you have the flat side of the spine facing the middle of the bed.
- When we put in foundations it is usually best to put one side in first and then the other. After that place the second one in.
- Now you will want to put the third foot on to join the two foundations together.
- After that is joined together, you can just center the foundation on the rails length wise and width wise.
- Then screw the foundation into the rails and you are done!
- Dean Phillips